Friday, June 14, 2013

Ulcerative Colitis - Does Stress Matter?


No matter what anyone else says I find that stress does have an impact on my Colitis, I don't know why but that doesn't matter. All I need to know is that by staying calm and relaxed I can stay well. Feeling refreshed and alert. Now that's not to say that I have to be in a permanent state of chilled out bliss! Although that would be nice. I am realistic and realize that life can throw things my way which will get me worked up, so I take a practical approach to staying relaxed.

What I aim to do to beat stress in my life is to have a period of half an hour a day which I set aside for myself to do something which will if you like unwind any stress I may have accumulated.

There are several things I do -

- Going for a Walk - I find having a walk in the countryside near my home for half an hour or maybe longer if I feel like it is a fabulous way to unwind. It also has the benefit of being gentle exercise which is promoting movement in my abdomen, and this can also help to remove any abdominal cramps.

- Chi Kung - There is a wonderful form of Chi Kung exercise which is great for the digestive system. It is called Zhan Zhuang or in English this is best translated as standing exercise. This is a great exercise to do and very easy to learn, it has many health benefits and is a great way to de-stress at the end of the day. I personally stand for 20 minutes every day and find that the benefits are many.

- Bin-aural Beats - This is a type of relaxing music which can put you into a state of deep meditation without any effort on your part! Its a really quick and easy way to do some stress busting. I've got a CD which I put on an mp3 player and whenever I need to I can use this to get in the most amazingly relaxed state for about 20 minutes, then I just wake up feeling refreshed and alert.

No comments:

Post a Comment